Thinking of my very first visit to Eastridge several years ago and remembering being homeless at the time staying in a 1 bedroom unit in Conyers and very lonely. A young girl I had met was planning on attending one Sunday morning and asked me if I would like to go. Hesitant but needing the Lord I agreed to go and absolutely fell in love with the church and have been attending ever since. I laid my life at my Lord’s feet and expressed to him that I needed guidance and direction in my life and to enlarge my territories. I prayed fervently for my life and my children. I have since been baptized at Celebrate Recovery by Pastor Mr. Brad Rutledge and joined the church in partnership ministry moving my letter from Oxford Baptist Church where I grew up at to Eastridge attending church once again with Pastor Mr. Trey Bailey that I grew up with at Oxford Baptist for many years. Eastridge felt like home and I have gained a wonderful church family since that cold day of being homeless to now a ministry partner and regular attendee of church services and Honorable Ozburn’s lectures and Celebrate Recovery. I was thinking this past Thursday at Celebrate Recovery at just how much God had shone down on my life over the past several years and with much thanksgiving spent the evening in prayer thanking him for my home, auto, food and career as a nursing assistant that he and only he had blessed me with as I have single handedly worked extra hard on putting my life back together and worshiping the Lord and sharing of his greatness in my life. Sharing my story at Celebrate Recovery last week I had others brought to tears and it really touched me to know that others cared so deeply for me and that I was in fact loved. So much that I had brought the room to tears and it felt good knowing I had made it into my 12th year of recovery on that very day. A good day that I did not cry and felt the Lord’s presence magnified in my life.
The service was on The 7 Reasons we get Stuck.
To maintain an honest view of reality as you work through each step. Having an accountability partner. Recovery is a process and it is a process of progress.
Sometimes effort causes us to get deeper & deeper and in pride. Psalm 139 23, 24
- You have not completely worked the previous principle. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit Galatians 5:25
- You have not completely surrendered your life and your will to the Lord. If you want favor with both God and man, and a reputation for good judgment and common sense, then trust the Lord completely; don’t ever trust in yourself. In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success. Proverbs 3: 5,6
- You have not accepted Jesus’ work on the cross for your forgiveness. But if we confess our sins to Him, He can be depended on to forgive us, from every wrong. 1 John 1:9 So overflowing is His kindness towards us that he took away all our sins through the blood of His Son, by whom we are saved. Ephesians 1 : 7 Though your sins be like scarlet, they shall be white as snow, though they are as red as crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1: 18
- You have not forgiven others who have harmed you. After you have suffered a little while, our God, who is full of kindness through Christ, will give you His eternal glory. He personally will pick you up, and set you firmly in place and make you stronger than ever. 1 Peter 5: 10-11
- You are afraid of the risk in making the necessary changes. Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand Isaiah 41:10 That is why we can say without any doubt or fear, The Lord is my Helper and I am not afraid of anything that mere man can do to me. Hebrews 1 : 3-6
- You are not willing to “own” your responsibility. Examine me O God, and know my mind, test me, and discover if there is any evil in me and guide me in the everlasting way. Psalm 139: 23
- You have not developed an effective support team. Be with wise men and become wise. Be with evil men and become evil. Proverbs 13 : 20 Dear brothers, you have been given freedom, not freedom to do wrong, but freedom to love and serve each another. Galatians 5: 13 Share each other’s troubles and problems, and so obey our Lord’s command Galatians 6: 2
Which of the seven reasons we talked about tonight have you gotten stuck in? And how did you get unstuck?
Following the 12 Steps and their Biblical Promises. Come join me on a Thursday night. The best place to be on a Thursday night and the “First day of your new Life.” You matter. You are not alone. The possibilities are endless. CR Eastridge
I hope to begin Stephen Ministry training this August and if not I will be attending the September ladies Step Study group on Sunday evenings.
Please come join me on Thursdays at 6:00 and Sunday mornings at Eastridge